Experiences of an American woman who was married to a Serb.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

American Men vs Italian Men

My step-daughter and her college roommate stopped by our US house last night to say hi before taking off for important St Patrick's Day pre-celebrations. "I'm going to Italy in May!" her roommate exclaimed, 'It's my first time out of the US. I'm so excited."

I looked at them both sitting at our kitchen table. Despite six years in the US, my Serb step-daughter was carefully dressed in a sleek fashionable outfit, with perfect hair, make up and nails. Her roommate, a typical American, was in comfy sweat pants, sneakers, and an oversized athletic team's hoodie that probably belonged to her boyfriend.

"Stand up, I'm going to show you how Italian men look at women," I ordered the roommate. For a count of five, I flicked my eyes from the top of her head all the way down to her shoe-tips and then back up again to her lovely face. "And, if you run into American men who are tourists in Italy when you are there, here's how they'll look at you." For a count of five I stared directly and unmovingly at her breasts.

Both girls screamed with laughter. "She's right you know," my step-daughter said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where in the US are you from?!
I don't know any girl in California who wears sweatpants & an oversized hoodie as regular clothing....I wouldn't be caught dead in that.